It’s a great idea to sell your house yourself if you have the time, the expertise and the ability to be constantly on call. If you aren’t quite so flexible, informed and available, you might want to engage the services of a professional real estate agents.
Pros for For Sale By Owner
- You can save money – by eliminating the real estate agent, you get to pocket the commission, but you have to do their job of market research, pricing, marketing and handling negotiations and offers — and you are all alone at the closing.
- You are more in control of when the house is shown – You can outline show times to a real estate agent, but if you want total control, selling it yourself means only your schedule and that of the potential buyer is in play.
- You can set your own price – You can ask what you think the house is worth. It may sell, it may not, but you get to set the price.
Cons for For Sale By Owner
- You have someone knowledgeable on hand to evaluate the market, compare recently sold homes and give you advice on pricing your home so it will sell in the current market conditions.
- You get help with staging, determining which repairs will pay for themselves (and which you should skip), and you get a qualified negotiator looking out after your best interests.
- You gain access to the marketing muscle of the agent, the brokerage, and the MLS system.
If you are a detail person, and you have the time to educate yourself about how to best present a home for sale, and if you have the time and finesse to do the marketing yourself, going the FSBO route is an option. If you don’t have that kind of time, and you aren’t interested in learning pricing, comparison/evaluation, and negotiating skills, you probably should hire an agent. If you need additional help determining which way you want to go, call us. We are here to help.